Excursion to the full of green Evritania, Agrafa, the unique Lake Plastira and the out-of-this-world Meteora rocks
Tour through the picturesque routes and forest roads of Evritania and South Pindos, with the high-altitude mountains, the abundant waters, the gorges of unique beauty and monuments of world heritage, for a 5-day crossing of Central Greece.
Starting from the south in the forested Evritania with the towering fir-covered mountains, the abundant running waters, and gorges of unique beauty, we are heading north to the mountains, rivers and turquoise waters of the lakeside plains of Lake Plastira in Agrafa. The trip continues up to the one-of-a-kind geological rocks of Meteora, in order to visit the second most important monestery complex in Greece, after Mount Athos, which is included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Leaving Athens, we drive on the highway for 180 km to the seaside resort of Kamena Vourla, known for its thermal springs. After a short stop, we head to the city of Lamia for an Off-Road route through forest roads. From the altitude of 200 m we drive muddy paths between coniferous trees to climb the reached alpine meadows in an altitude of 1650 m, on the Kokkalia plateaus and to follow a route through a forest of Erythrelatis to the area of Evritania.
The area of Evritania, immersed in the firs, is an ideal destination for nature lovers and 4×4 driving. The green slopes in summer and the alpine landscape in winter, the rushing rivers, the imposing canyons, the archeological monuments, the historic monasteries, the traditional settlements and the cordial hospitality of the inhabitants, compose a magical setting that invites us to explore it. We follow a mixed route in a spruce forest on Mount Kaliakouda and walk in the impressive gorge “Panta Vrechei” – which means “always raining”. The “Panta Vrechei” gorge is a landscape of rare beauty in the narrowest points of the river Krikelopotamos. Water flows over layers of dense vegetation that cover the rocks and falls like rain on the river, forming ponds. The path to the gorge is short and in extremely good condition. Before returning to the accommodation spot, we tour and get acquainted with the picturesque villages, the authentic flavors and the pure products of the area.
We leave Evritania to find ourselves in the mountains of Agrafa on a parallel route with the river Tavropos, that will lead us to the wooded fjords of Lake Plastira. We follow a mixed route that part of its is off-road beside the riverbeds of torrents, in order to discover hidden beauties and enjoy the unique color compositions and alternations of the area of Agrafa.
Tour of the lake Plastira. We visit the Panagia ton Vrachon, the post-Byzantine monastery of Panagia Pelekiti – sculpted on the steep slope of Agrafa. We are walking in the dense forest with muddy roads, which are formed on the shores of the lake, but also hiking to discover one of the most beautiful waterfalls of Lake Plastira. After that, we take an easy route parallel to the river, in the plane trees in a beautiful environment, worth exploring. In the afternoon we drive to the main road that will lead us to the point of overnight stay under the imposing rocks of Meteora
We drive high on the rocks to visit one of the 24 monasteries of Meteora, on the edge of the steep and age-old rock, the Monastery of Agios Stefanos, built on the 12th century. Afterwards, the journey of our return begins with intermediate stops for coffee and a farewell meal by the sea.
Duration & Dates
5 days – 4 overnights
25/08/21 – 29/08/21
15/09/21 – 19/09/21
27/10/21 – 31/10/21
22/12/21 – 26/12/21
16/02/22 – 20/02/22
16/03/22 – 20/03/22
06/04/22 – 10/04/22
04/05/22 – 08/05/22
– 5-Day organised tour with our fully equipped campers , hi-end camping gear and special “unmapped” routes through beautiful landscapes, lakes, rivers and hidden villages guided by experienced scouts.
– Adventurous off-road routes & off-road training (for 4×4 vehicles)
– Guidance from experienced scouts with great knowledge of local geography/morphology
– 4 overnight free camping on selected encharming landscapes with full equipment (hotel upon request)
– 6 to 9 participating vehicles with carefully selected company
– An introductory party with a barbecue meal or at a traditional tavern with delicious local delicacies and drinks
– Fully equipped escort vehicles for extrication
– Walkie Talkie supply for free 24/7 communication between all vehicles (2Way VHF & CB)
– Provision for technical support & first aid kit
– Tour description booklet with references to the best sight-seeings
– Pictures, videos & captures
– ROLLING TURTLES CLUB membership card which offers a 5% discount to any new tour participation or campervan hire
– additional 5% discount voucher for purchases from company’s E-SHOP
– Not Included: Fuel, tolls, admission tickets, food & drinks, hotel room or organized camping places (available upon request)
* Our AGB Terms & Conditions apply to all the bookings.
* If the minimum number of participants is not achieved on time, Rolling Turtles is entitled to withdraw or postpone the tour. In this case, the participant will be reimbursed for the full paid amount or receive a voucher for the next tour available (participants own decision).
4×4 Off-Road Camper from 925€/person
VW T6 Campervan from 775€/person