Enjoy a real experience in Evia island
Fully prepared and specially equipped 4WD vehicles, driven by experienced off road drivers will guide you on selected off-road trails in Evvoia through dense and deep green forests and crystal waters of streams and rivers. Join us to see how a real 4WD vehicle drives off-road, to learn if you like how to use the off-road recovery equipment and to help us to unblock and recover the vehicle through mud and difficult paths and of course to operate a 4WD in such a terrain.
In an hour’s distance from Athens center we cross over the bridge over Euripus channel which separates Evvoia Island from the rest Mainland Greece for rough trails through dense flora, small rivers crossing.
Sometimes with the use of winch recovery so our team be able to go forward and start over again on next obstacle which only experienced drivers with fully equipped 4WD vehicles can access and overcome.
Chestnut Forest: One of the 19 Aesthetic forests of Greece
As we depart from our stopover we ascent to a trail which leads us to Evvoia highest mountain, Dirfis. There we follow the unique scenic route of Chestnut Forest one of the 19 Aesthetic forests of Greece, this route leaves long back the city civilization and we now move to the hospitality and breeze of dense forest and multiple water streams and cliffs. Pine trees, firs trees, oak trees along with plane trees dominate the views to a fairy tale like environment waiting for the fairies and elves of folk legends to be shown up.
Outdoor BBQ picnic – lunch at the Chapel of Agia Kyriaki
As we approach the Chapel of Agia Kyriaki n stop for an outdoor BBQ picnic – lunch and a coffee will give us the extra strength to go on. The Chapel is built inside a small cave surrounded of plane trees forest and crystal running waters. This small Chapel has a specialty, the Holy Room is not directed to East as most of the Christian Orthodox churches have but is directed to the South. Inside the Holy Room crystal waters spring up and it’s believed by many as Holy Water.
Dirfis mountain: Evia’s highest mountain
After the adventurous cross of a narrow gorge we pass the mountain refuge at 1100m and continue until the top of the ridge of mount Dirfis at 1743m, from this point we can admire the breathtaking views of whole Evvoia Island. We descent through the dense “Black Forest” to our next destination, the traditional village of Steni, well known for the crystal water streams, the perennial plane trees and chestnut forests.
Steni village: A traditional mountainous village
At the Steni village we have free time for a coffee or a visit to local shops for traditional shopping, Tea, oregano, wild herbs, local cheese, honey, handmade pasta, sweets, liqueurs are few of traditional products mount from mount Dirfis is generously produce.
Chalkida: Cross over the Euripus channel, over the “crazy waters”
Our path now descends towards Chalkis, we visit the picturesque city and we pass above the exceptional drop-slide bridge at the narrowest point of the channel. We have the time here to admire and photograph the as locally called “Crazy Waters” phenomenon, just before we hit the National Road on our way to return to Athens. Here before we go down the highway to return to Athens. Euripus channel is a narrow line of sea water 39m, width of 40m and depth of 8.5m connects North and South Euboean Gulfs and separates the Euvoia Island from Mainland Greece. It is worldwide known for a unique physical phenomenon take place here, the waters are continuously moving and randomly change direction either to North or South Euboean Gulfs.
Duration & Dates
This is a one-day tour and takes place every Saturday and Sunday.
– 1-Day organised tour with our fully equipped campers , hi-end camping gear and special “unmapped” routes through beautiful landscapes, lakes, rivers and hidden villages guided by experienced scouts.
– Adventurous off-road routes & off-road training (for 4×4 vehicles)
– Guidance from experienced scouts with great knowledge of local geography/morphology
– 6 to 9 participating vehicles with carefully selected company
– An introductory party with a barbecue meal or at a traditional tavern with delicious local delicacies and drinks
– Fully equipped escort vehicles for extrication
– Walkie Talkie supply for free 24/7 communication between all vehicles (2Way VHF & CB)
– Provision for technical support & first aid kit
– Tour description booklet with references to the best sight-seeings
– Pictures, videos & captures
– ROLLING TURTLES CLUB membership card which offers a 5% discount to any new tour participation or campervan hire
– additional 5% discount voucher for purchases from company’s E-SHOP
– Not Included: Fuel, tolls, admission tickets, food & drinks, hotel room or organized camping places (available upon request)
* Our AGB Terms & Conditions apply to all the bookings.
* If the minimum number of participants is not achieved on time, Rolling Turtles is entitled to withdraw or postpone the tour. In this case, the participant will be reimbursed for the full paid amount or receive a voucher for the next tour available (participants own decision).
Off-Road Camper from 225€/person
VW T6 Campervan from 195€/person